Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Test

I failed a test today. It was a personal test, but I remembered something that for a few short moments, I forgot.

I have to give you the whole story, so that the big picture can be seen.

I met a good friend of mine for lunch today, and we met in a lounge at school. There was a woman who was sitting in a corner reading, and I sat in the other corner next to the window. My friend came in and we sat down and started talking. After maybe thirty seconds, the woman started telling us that we are not at home and we shouldn't be talking and we should go somewhere else. Note: The room is a meeting room for people to come and talk, eat and study, so we were doing nothing wrong. She said this and a few things along the same line, so my friend started talking back to her. Both of them had a not very nice exchange, and my friend decided to go get someone in charge.

I turned to the woman and tried to diffuse the situation, letting her know that this room is a room to congregate in; I spoke in a very calm tone. She started arguing with me and telling me that we should be quiet, and then she took out the big guns, she told me that we were cows, and that this country is not mine. I asked her to clarify, and told her that this country isn't hers either, right? Presuming that she meant that we weren’t Queens or something. This country isn’t yours, She repeated again. My blood began to boil and I told her that she didn’t know me and she has no right to judge me. She told me again, I carry a foreign passport, so I don’t belong here. The proceeded to tell me that she knew a lot of cows our type on campus and she knows what were like.

At this point I was really angry, and so I told her that she managed to make me angry and that she was the first person in years to really do what she managed to do.n The I repeated that I am an Israeli and she has no right to judge me, and of course, that I carry an Israeli passport.

Situation repeats itself, and I repeat myself. I'm still speaking pretty calmly, but anyone could see I was raging. I then decided to ignore her, as I began to realize that I got pulled into her rage.

My friend came back, bringing some random very pregnant lady, who I assume was supposed to be a person of authority, though she was just an administration person. She asked what was going on, and we both began to explain the situation, she also continued to hurl her insults. The pregnant lady after a minute said she's leaving, this is a 5 year old argument.

So she left, my friend started talking to me, and I realized that we were not go anywhere else to eat, as she wouldn’t budge out of principle. After a few minutes other people came in and the random lunch congregation began. But I couldn’t let it go. I was mad. Finally I realized that I had let somebody else control my emotions and I let myself stoop down to her level. I soon after took those emotions, made a bubble, and blew it away (an amazing technique I learned from Dharma and Greg…the TV show).

Then I remembered that even seven years ago when I was called a vermin and told that I deserved to be gassed, I did not let myself stoop to that level.

And so I realized that I failed my test, but at least I know that this was a lesson that I will not soon forget.

1 comment:

Amy B said...

I love reading about you. I can hear you voice and can still picture you as I read it. I am proud of you for realizing you can control a situation and doing it. I really do try to do that too.. But just wait until you have a two year old... I have to always remind myself, A two year old cant make me go crazy and mad, I am better than that. ... it works sometimes